Collecting statistics data

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Hi,

lately, our download numbers have sky-rocketed, and I would like to get an idea how people are using VCC. Codeplex has recently started to offer the possibility to instrument applications to collect anonymous usage data. See here for more info. Things I would like to track are the number of runs, verification outcome (succeeded, failed) and the duration of the verification.

How do people feel about this? Would you mind having this information collected in an anonymized fashion? Should the collection be made optional in the installer? Opt-in or opt-out?

Stephan

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Seems that this is not nearly such a hot-button topic as I was afraid it would be. I had some discussions with Mark and Michal, and we think that there should be an option in the installer to control the collection of data. Also, what I will have to check is the impact of data collection on the turnaround times for small problems. Any other opinions?

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM
Edited Sep 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Hi Stephan, if you are asking for flames ... Just to be the devil's advocate here I'd say I'd strongly suggest to make this feature at most "opt-in". Even if it is "opt-in" I will personally choose "opt-out". Why that? Because on some code I would consider e.g. number of loop invariants in an implementation something I have to keep confidential. Of course there is also other more experimental code which is not confidential at all (which I liberally use for sandbox examples etc posted here). I think others also might have a mix of more confidential and non-confidential code, so one even might think about a vcc switch "/report-run-to-vcc-team" that can be enabled on a per-run basis.